BY TOM HESTER SR.
A 27-year-old man from Burlington County and a 3-year-old boy from Gloucester County became ill after consuming raw milk from the Family Cow Dairy in Pennsylvania, the state Department of Health and Senior Services announced Thursday.
They are among 78 people in several states who have been stricken with campylobacteriosis, a gastrointestinal illness, from the consumption of raw milk contaminated with bacteria. The milk is from cows, goats, sheep, or other animals at the farm that has not been pasteurized.
“Raw milk can contain a number of bacteria that can cause life-threatening illness, especially in those with compromised immune systems,” Health and Senior Services Commissioner Mary E. O’Dowd said. “Since consumers cannot tell if milk is contaminated by smelling or tasting it, residents should avoid consuming raw milk because of health risks associated with it.”
The bottled raw milk products were distributed throughout Pennsylvania, including Montgomery, Bucks, Philadelphia, and Delaware counties, which all border the Delaware River. The raw milk from this farm was purchased in Pennsylvania. The sale or distribution of raw milk is banned in New Jersey.
While the majority of illness has occurred in Pennsylvania, residents in New Jersey, Maryland and West Virginia have also been affected.
“Most people who become ill with campylobacteriosis get diarrhea, cramping, abdominal pain, and fever within two to five days after exposure to the organism, Health Deputy Commissioner Dr. Arturo Brito said. “The diarrhea may be bloody and can be accompanied by nausea and vomiting. Residents that have consumed raw milk and have symptoms should contact their physician.”
The illness typically lasts one week. Some infected people do not have any symptoms. In those with compromised immune systems, Campylobacter occasionally spreads to the bloodstream and causes a life-threatening infection. Long-term complications include contracting Guillain Barre Syndrome, which may result in paralysis that lasts several weeks and usually requires intensive care.
The source of this outbreak, Family Cow Dairy, has been permitted by the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture to resume bottling. Health officials said the outbreak occurred despite the fact that the farm is licensed, inspected, and operating in compliance with Pennsylvania laws.