Notable N.J. doctor, Viswanathan Rajaraman, and wife killed in single-plane accident | Healthquest | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.

Wednesday
Sep 17th

rajaramanViswanathan062011_optBY ALICIA CRUZ

A distinguished Hackensack neurosurgeon and his wife were killed Sunday in a single-plane accident at the Rickenbacker International Airport in Columbus, Ohio.

Viswanathan Rajaraman, 54, and his wife, Mary J. Sundaram, 50, were the only people aboard the 2008 Cirrus SR22 when it suddenly crashed east of the runway onto an Ohio cornfield and burst into flames shortly after take-off.

According to a news release from the Ohio State Highway Patrol, the plane was taking off after refueling at the airport. Lt. Gary Lewis of the State Highway Patrol said the couple attended the graduation of their daughter in Washington, D.C. and were returning to Essex County, NBC4 reported. Rajaraman was piloting the flight back to Fairfield. Both victims were pronounced dead at the scene.

Rajaraman, co-chief of neuro-oncology at Hackensack University Medical Center, specialized in brain and spine cancer, and cerebral (brain) aneurysms, amongst other things, his professional profile on HealthGrade.com read. Dr. Rajaraman completed undergrad studies at Loyola College in Madras, India, graduating in 1976. He graduated from Madras Medical College, Tamil Nadu Dr Mgr Medical University in Chennai, India and completed his Fellowship at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City.

He was amongst the more notable physicians in the state. His wife, Sundaram was also a doctor, but stopped practicing medicine to raise their daughter, Kaavya Viswanathan, now 24, and a recent graduate of Georgetown University’s law school. He and his wife resided in Franklin Lakes.

The cause of the crash is under investigation by the Federal Aviation Administration, who sent investigators to the scene, and the National Transportation Safety Board, said Tony Molinaro, an FAA spokesman, NJ.com reported.

The Rajarman's daughter made news headlines in 2006 when she was accused of plagiarism following the release of her first book, "How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild, and Got a Life." The chick-lit novel made the New York Times bestsellers list, but was yanked from shelves after it was discovered that she plagiarized language from two novels written by New Jersey author Megan McCafferty. Her publisher, which canceled her contract, later destroyed copies of Viswanathan’s book, the Times of India reported.

21 Monday, 11 July 2011 22:45
Dr Novak
How could anyone be so mean!
She was a child for God’s sake when she made a mistake. That mistake did not harm anyone. She publicly apologized. That said, she proved that she is a smart girl with good genes. This is America. Her parents might have been rich but she still has to prove her abilities to go though Law School. Please leave her alone. I sincerely hope that she does not read any of this.
20 Sunday, 10 July 2011 06:43
Dr. B. VISHWANATHA RAO
A sad news. University first in BSc botany1976.gets medicine at MMC, a premier Institute.gets an ICMR prize at a later date.starts a 24hr clinic after his graduation shows his determination and hard work. a simple guy coming from middle class family had to take a circuitous route to enter medicine but still he got it . i still remember his protein synthesis project at loyola which helped me in medicine. a friendly person. lost touch with him for almost two decades. such a shock for me. glad he still had contact with prakash. my condolence to kavya. no words to express.take care.
B. VISHWANATHA RAO
PROFESSOR OF PHYSIOLOGY
MADRAS MEDICAL COLLEGE
CHENNAI
CELL 09444150382
19 Sunday, 26 June 2011 01:50
Mike Z
In 2004 my father was diagnosed by him with a very aggressive brain tumor. The 1st mri they were telling my mother brain cancer. How could they know that without a biopsy? Dr's know what they are looking at on an mri "MAKE NO MISTAKE" He talked my family into surgery. We were so distrought, we could not make a rational decision.
He gave us hope "that was not there" There are 9 children in my family.
My sister was battling ovarian cancer at the time. She died in 2006. She was the oldest of 9. He suffered a massive stroke during the surgery and died with no dignity shortly thereafter! Why wasn't Dr Burzynski's antineoplastin therapy offered with a 25% success versus a 10% instead of a costly surgery that ruined a man's family? The medical proffession exploits the medicaid system and does not use true science. "ASK THE FDA" I know it sounds like sour grapes but see it for yourself. Watch the movie BURZYNSKI. Why won't our gov. step in and put an end to all the bull that is being shoveled. Ask yourself, did you ever here of one of the presidents of the USA ever dieing from "cancer" Are they the only lucky ones! The jig is up! I am sorry he died but it is poet justice in my eyes. Not to be too synical but "sorry for the loss" MZ
18 Saturday, 25 June 2011 16:11
Myra Brachfeld
i am from ottawa ontario and came to see the doctor. he was impressed that someone from canada would come to him. my heart goes out to his doctor in this difficult time. he will truly be missed. i was in shock after arlene called me
17 Friday, 24 June 2011 22:51
William Kent
I join in the observation of many others that the comments about the victims' daughter should be removed.
16 Friday, 24 June 2011 18:42
queotic
Shame on you Alicia Cruz! This poor girl is grieving for her parents and you have the audacity to to bring up her past. You should remove that from your article.
15 Thursday, 23 June 2011 21:29
Friend
Vishy was a wonderful teacher and was patient with me as a young doctor. I owe him much and appreciated our time together. He was dedicated to his patients and loved his profession. A very private man who enjoyed comradere and the joy of laughter. Hard to imagine that he is gone. He was an excellent mentor and friend.
14 Thursday, 23 June 2011 12:39
Meeena
They were returning for mher graduation. The poor girl will never forget that. BTW its an excellent book. You jerk read it!
13 Thursday, 23 June 2011 12:20
Damary M.
If you were Kaavya, do you think it would be appropriate to read an article about the death of your parents in this manner? DISGUSTING! It wasn't necessary for you to include what happened in 2006. The last paragraph didn't even flow with the rest of the article. Shame on you.
12 Thursday, 23 June 2011 10:52
ENI tsirhc
My sincerest condolences to Dr. Rajaraman's Daughter, Family & Friends. My father was diagnosed with Brain Tumor and was compassionately cared for by his team at HUMC that my family is forever grateful. Rest In Peace!

The writer of this article is out of line! Whoever is the author should write an apology to the Rajaraman family for bringing up a past blemishing her family name while she is mourning. That part of the daughter's past was dealt & done. There was no need to add to her loss. That's an insensitive act that may have future impact on her psychosocial well being. I respect the First Bill of Right. But having that Right is NOT a license to "injure" someone else, most especially a case such as this.
11 Thursday, 23 June 2011 01:34
Paul Kattupalli
Shame on both of you who wrote this article. The young lady lost her two beloved parents. She is their only child. Even a criminal who loses his both parents deserve some sympathy. But you idiots have no scrupples for mentioning the young lady's bad history while she lost her parents. Shame on you and shame on the newspaper which allowed idiots like you to write this nonsense.
10 Wednesday, 22 June 2011 20:56
Binod Sinha
just a loss to medical community . He was a great doctor who cared for people and Staff .
May God bless his family.
9 Wednesday, 22 June 2011 16:42
LizDM
I met Dr. Raj when my friend Helene was diagnosed with a brain tumor. He was the most humble man of his profession I have ever met. I am so grateful he saved her life and this is such a great loss to all of those who may have benefited from his genius.

Ditto on the daughter comments, how inappropriate.
8 Wednesday, 22 June 2011 08:16
Fay Pecoraro
To me Dr. Raj was a gift from GOD at such a traumatic time in my life. He was so kind and comforting to myself and my family. I am so heart broken there are no words. The comments regarding his daughter were so distasteful and disrespectful towards Dr. Raj's memory to be included in the report of his death.
7 Wednesday, 22 June 2011 02:20
Tom (TS) Shankar Iyer
Vichu and me were classmates, deskmates at school @ delhi for many many years. He was such a jovial guy, very humble & honest. I miss him a lot.

Regards,
Shankar
Bangalore, India / San Jose, California, USA
6 Tuesday, 21 June 2011 17:25
maureen
5 Tuesday, 21 June 2011 15:43
amjad shad
I worked as senior house officer with him in edinburgh in 1992-93.I was impressed with his professionalism and as a human being
4 Tuesday, 21 June 2011 08:39
Paola S
Dr. Raj was an awesome man... Very nice, friendly, smartest DR. I have ever had the pleasure to work with & for. I still dont want to believe this horrible news. Dr. Raj used to always come to my desk and ask me for Chocolate, and we used to laugh.. I will never, ever forget you... May you and your beautiful wife REST IN PEACE..... GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN....
3 Tuesday, 21 June 2011 08:16
D. Mariniello
The surgery Dr. Rajaraman performed on me changed my life. Such a kind man. I feel blessed to have met him. Such a loss to the world. My deepest condolences to the entire family.
2 Tuesday, 21 June 2011 07:29
subbu
We could not believe the news and still not in a position to recover from the severe blow. I remember his housesurgeon days at Chennai, on week ends he invariably visit our house at Chromepet and all our family members intract with Dr Vichu and redressed with all our Medical related doubts. He is very simple, humble and generous human being.

The entire Medical community and suffering patients at large lost a wonderful skilled and ethical surgeon for ever.

May his and his wife Dr. Mary Jayanthi Sundaram's sol rest in peace.

Unable to digest the hardest truth even now.

Dr. Vishwanthan Rajaram's Cousin

S. SUBRAMANIAN
108 M K A KOIL STREET
MYLAPORE
CHENNAI 600 004
TEL 044-24670784
CELL 09444993862
1 Tuesday, 21 June 2011 07:11
Gina L
Such sad news, and yet this site found it necessary to include dirt about their daughter. That's so disgusting. VERY disrespectful and inappropriate.