4 arrests made in the Tanya Worthy murder investigation | State | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.

Tuesday
Jul 29th

4 arrests made in the Tanya Worthy murder investigation

handcuff121409_optAuthorities have arrested four men and charged them with the death of Tanya Worthy, who was found inside her burning BMW on October 28, 2008, said Prosecutor Theodore J. Romankow.

Following a labor intensive investigation that covered three states, involved nearly 80 interviews and review of telephone records involving hundreds of phone calls, the Union County Homicide Task Force arrested the following individuals:

• Rashawn Bond, 33, was currently in custody in the Essex County Jail
  • Jamel Lewis, 31, was arrested at his residence in Alexandria Virginia
  • Robert Harris, 25, is currently in custody in Philadephia.
  • Sharif Torres, 21, was arrested at his residence in Philadelphia.

Each is charged with Felony Murder, Kidnapping, Robbery, Gun Charges and Arson, said Romankow. Bail was set at $1.5 million for Bond, Harris and Torres. Lewis is being held on $2 million bail.

The arrests took place over the weekend.

Tanya Worthy of Green Brook was discovered inside her two-door convertible BMW on Neck Lane in Elizabeth. Authorities were called to the scene because of the fire, said Romankow.

According to the investigation, it appears that Worthy was involved in a relationship with one or more of the defendants and had proceeds obtained from criminal activity in her possession, said Romankow.

For those reasons, investigators believe Worthy was targeted.

The year-long investigation was a true representation of the kind of labor intensive work that the Homicide Task Force is capable of, said Romankow. Launched in September 2008 the Homicide Task Force was created in response to a rise in unsolved homicides throughout Union County. So far this year the Homicide Task Force has solved eight of the county's 12 homicides and expects additional arrests in the coming weeks. The Task Force has also solved six cold case investigations since its inception.

worthy121409_opt

On this most recent investigation, the Task Force received tremendous support from the Drug Enforcement Administration, the U.S. Attorney's Office and the Philadelphia Police Department. The Green Brook Police Department and the Somerset County Prosecutor's Office also assisted in the early stages of the investigation.

Prosecutor Romankow commended Task Force Detective Jose Vendas for his tireless pursuit during the investigation.

"We continue to work for the victims and their families to ensure that anyone who commits murder gets the punishment they deserve," said Romankow. "People in Union County should know that we go to great lengths to ensure that each suspect is captured."

— NEWJERSEYNEWSROOM.COM

7 Wednesday, 04 May 2011 16:48
a soul also hurt by the ruthless actions of "man"
I've know rebert harris and sharif torres since we were young children and upon hearing them it makes me take a look at them but not a hard enough look! she is not the first and wasnot the last person they hurt by their "i dnt give a fuck" actions. because i am a muslim and i believe only Allah ta'ala knows the truth of everything and has mercy on whom he wills i can only continue 2 pray every day that they suffer the hurt and pain the families of their victims have. i pray that they are inprisoned for life and their families hurt like the victim's family do. i believe that on the day of judgement they will have to stand before Allah and the one the murdered for judgement........but they dnt think of shit like that, they think they'll live for ever and will be untouchable but i know just by god allowing them to be caught justice is comming =)
6 Sunday, 27 February 2011 12:19
big brother
as i look into the eyes of these fag ass niggas that murdered my sister my blood is boiling,i hear alot of this and that and rumors and ppl talking about omg they will never do such a thing and how they knew these dudes for all these years and they would never do such a thing,well as we all know money is the root of all evil,and they look starving,so i wouldnt put it past them and if thats the case then i feel it should be life for a life,fuck locking them up cause they still get a chance to live life be healthy and sit around and talk about it,no fuck that!!!she got a brother who dont give a fuck,who would give his life just to ride on them dudes,his life for the 4 of theirs...
5 Monday, 15 November 2010 15:13
Tanya's Sister
I can't believe anyone can do something so harsh to a human being. My sister was such a kind soul and would do any and everything for anyone at the drop of a dime. My kids miss you, daddy misses you, and I surely miss you. I love you so much. Come back!!!
4 Monday, 15 February 2010 15:47
Jamel's sister
i know jamel and he is definitely innocent. he is not capable of doing this to a female AT ALL!!!! He respects women too much and at the time this crime took place he was already moved out of the state 2 weeks prior to start a better life. but my brother will be proven innocent, believe that.
WOW
3 Saturday, 19 December 2009 00:47
Speechless
I've know Jamel for a while now and there's definitely more to this than what is being told. Jamel is not capable of this at all.
2 Wednesday, 16 December 2009 09:06
christian
I can not believe what I'm reading. I have known Rashawn Bond & his family 4 just about 16years & never in my life would I have thought he could be capable of doing this. Murder taking a life what was he thinking. He has a wife & many children and how could he do something like this.! My prayers go out to Tanya Worthy & her family May GOD bless u in your time of loss and give u the strength to endore a little longer while justice will be served!!! My relationship with the Bond family will have to be prayed on & may GOD bless the children that will know eventually what their DAD was capable of doing...taking a life is not acceptable at all. We are not GOD we can not take measures into our own hands.
1 Wednesday, 16 December 2009 09:03