Bill allowing N.J. counties to issue veterans ID cards approved by Senate committee | State | -- Your State. Your News.

Jul 06th
  • Login
  • Create an account
  • Search
  • Local Business Deals

Bill allowing N.J. counties to issue veterans ID cards approved by Senate committee

veteran022310_optCould be used for restaurant, store discounts

A bill which would permit New Jersey counties to create identification cards for veterans, in order to allow them to more easily access special discounts and other offers extended to them has been unanimously approved by the Senate Military and Veterans Affairs Committee.

The bill (S-323), would permit county clerks to create an identification card for veterans who live within the county and do not already hold a veteran ID card issued by the federal government. The cards would not serve as sufficient proof of service for official government business or to secure veterans’ benefits – such as the state-administered veteran property tax deduction, or GI Bill education benefits.

Sen. Jim Whelan (D-Atlantic) the bill’s sponsor, said the cards would be intended to help veterans receive discounts and other courtesies extended to them.

“When it comes to giving something back to the brave men and women who’ve given so much in service to our country, many New Jersey businesses – and even some local governments – have stepped up to the plate, creating discount programs and courtesies reserved specifically for veterans,” Whelan said. “By allowing counties to issue a ‘proof of service’ ID card to our state’s veterans, we can make it easier for them to access the discount programs intended just for them. This is a matter of convenience to New Jersey’s veterans who’ve fought to defend our nation and its interests abroad.”

Whelan noted that some shore towns offer free or reduced cost beach badges to military veterans and their families in the summer. Some businesses also provide discounts to veterans for a variety of services and goods, including deals on electronics, travel and restaurants.


Comments (3)
3 Monday, 10 June 2013 09:44
Frank R Rusignuolo
I served in the US Army 1964-1966. I have the DD214 form but would like to get a ID with my picture. I live in Essex county, New Jersey. Where can I get an ID with my photo on it. My email address is

Thank you for your help
2 Monday, 18 June 2012 15:53
rao s. kasinadhuni
i served in US Army Medical Battalion in 1975-1980. i have the DD Form. but i would like to get an ID with my picture. I live in Morris county, new jersey. where can i get an ID with my photo on it. appreciate you help. my email
1 Saturday, 24 March 2012 12:34
Richard P. Brandt
Yes I am a vetern and heard there is a I.D. that I can get and would like to get one. Thankyou.

Add your comment

Your name:

Follow/join us

Twitter: njnewsroom Linked In Group: 2483509