Next Sunday Giants and Patriots fans will gather for Super Bowl LXVI at festive parties brimming with platters full of hearty food and lots of liquid libations. This week hosts and hostesses will be deep in preparation for the Big Game parties with the New York Metropolitan area fans cheering on Big Blue. Here are some hearty suggestions for easy planning and delicious feasting on February 5.
Whether your guests are carnivores, vegetarian or vegan, these are recipes guaranteed to be crowd pleasers and for everyone gratifying indulgence. First offering is from The Tipsy Vegan by John Schlimm who says his goal was to create the ultimate party-in-a-book; a party that everyone is invited to—whether you are a lifelong vegan, an occasional visitor, or merely hungry.
For a sassy starter to kick off the pregame party his Salsa alla Vodka is the perfect dip for chips maybe accompanied by a Big Blue Giant-tini. And, Schlimm adds that “VODKA!!!” is one of his favorites and that it takes salsa, gazpacho, roasted potatoes, pasta, and so much more in The Tipsy Vegan (which was selected as Editors’ Pick in VegNews Mag) to a whole new level of boozy decadence.
Salsa alla Vodka (Makes about 3 cups)
Schlimm’s intro: The new leader of the salsa kingdom has risen and is ready to serve you. This tanked twist on everyone’s favorite dip can be used instead of ketchup on a veggie burger, to top off a baked potato, or as an unforgettable backyard-tailgating-couch potato-me time-party time-anytime dip with tortilla chips.
- 2 to 3 ripe red tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped, or 2 cups canned organic diced tomatoes, drained, if tomatoes are out of season
- 5 scallions, finely diced, light green and white parts only
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/2 long mild chile (for example, anaheim or poblano), or 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chilled Exclusiv vodka*
- Droplets of extra-virgin olive oil
*Exclusiv Vodka was was recently awarded with an impressive 91 point rating by the Beverage Tasting Institute. It may be hard to believe, but the vodka with this prestigious rating costs only about $10 a bottle.