After her brutal attack from a violent mob of over 200 men in Cairo, CBS foreign correspondent Lara Logan decided almost immediately that she was going to speak out, with details, about sexual violence on behalf of other journalists.
During the incident, Logan lost contact with her crew for about 25 minutes and said she did not expect to survive the sexual assault and beating that she faced. "There was no doubt in my mind that I was in the process of dying," she told “60 Minutes’” Scott Pelley, in an interview set to air Sunday.
Before her assault, Logan said she had not known about the amount of harassment and abuse that women in Egypt and other countries were facing on a regular basis. “When women are harassed and subjected to this in society, they’re denied an equal place in that society,” she said to The New York Times. “For an extended period of time, they raped me with their hands."
She thought of her two young children to help her survival. Logan said, “ I felt like I had been given a second chance because I came so close to leaving them.”
In the weeks following Ms. Logan’s assault, other women spoke out about being harassed and assaulted during overseas trips. Over a dozen journalists have been detained in Libya during the past two months.
After she was rescued from her attackers by a group of civilians and Egyptian soldiers, Logan was flown back to the United States. “She was quite traumatized, as you can imagine, for a period of time,” said Jeff Fager, the chairman of CBS News and the executive producer of “60 Minutes.”
Fager told Third Age that Logan’s interview would hopefully raise awareness of the sexual violence female journalists often face when reporting.