BY MARGARET MORGAN
For a complete freaky Fright Night Feast, check out the October issue of Food & Wine magazine for a menu of Dark and Stormy Death Punch, Spicy Cheddar Witch Fingers, Worms in Dirt, Swamp Chili, Ghostly Lemon Pops and Chocolate Mice and Minced Spiced Pumpkins.
A super spookily delicious recipe good enough to raise the dead and an alternative to spiced pumpkins is a Halloween dessert guaranteed to raise hairs and eyebrows - Driscoll’s Graveyard Cake. Healthy, too – as it is filled with fresh strawberries, raspberries and blueberries combined to make a boo-ti-ful and delectable chocolate berry cake perfect for any Halloween celebration. Puréed blueberries are added to the chocolate cake batter and a sweet strawberry-raspberry jam fills the middle.Impress everyone with this clever and tasty treat.
Courtesy of Driscoll’s – only the finest berries.Strawberry Ghosts and Tombstones
1 cup white candy melts
2 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
1 pkg. (16 ounces) Driscoll's Strawberries
2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted
Assorted Halloween sprinkles, such as Jumbo Ghost Sprinkles
3 Milano cookies
6 cream filled chocolate cookies, such as Oreo's
1 pkg. (6 ounces or 1 1/4 cups) Driscoll's Blueberries
3/4 cup water
1 pkg. (18.25 ounces) devil food cake mix
1/3 cup oil
3 large eggs
Raspberry Strawberry Filling
1 pkg. (6 ounces or 1 1/3 cups) Driscoll's Raspberries
1 1/2 cup coarsely chopped Driscoll's Strawberries
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
Chocolate Ganache Whipped Frosting
2 cup heavy cream
12 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 pkg. (6 ounces or 1 1/4 cups) Driscoll's Blueberries for garnish
1 pkg. (6 ounces or 1 1/3 cups) Driscoll's Raspberies for garnish
Strawberry Ghosts and Tombstones
1. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine candy melts and shortening in large microwave safe bowl. Microwave on 50% power for 30 seconds. Stir thoroughly. Continue to microwave and stir at 30 seconds intervals until smooth and completely melted.
3. Dip strawberries into candy melt to coat completely, let excess drip off. Carefully place stem side down onto prepared cookie sheet. Let stand at room temperature or store in refrigerator 30 minutes or until coating is firm.
4. Spoon melted chocolate into a pastry bag fitted with Wilton tip # 3. Using melted chocolate place dots of chocolate as glue and arrange ghost sprinkles for eyes. Pipe on eyebrows and mouth, let stand until firm.
5. Arrange cookies on tray. Pipe saying onto each cookie.
6. Let stand at room temperature until coating is firm. In food processor blend cookies until fine crumbs, set aside.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour 2 (9-inch) square baking pans. Place 1 cup blueberries and water in bowl of a food processor. Puree 1 minute or until smooth.
2. Blend cake mix, blueberry mixture, oil and eggs with an electric mixer in large bowl on low speed just until moistened. Scrape sides of bowl.
3. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in remaining blueberries. Divide batter evenly into prepared pans.
4. Bake 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
Have an eerily enjoyable edible Halloween!