Poll finds New Jerseyans want property taxes cut before income taxes | Economy | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.

Wednesday
Oct 22nd

Poll finds New Jerseyans want property taxes cut before income taxes

NJDollars030911_optMost far overestimate how much 10 percent income tax break would net them

As he introduces his proposed 2012-13 state budget Tuesday, Gov. Chris Christie is prepared to urge the Legislature to approve his proposed 10 percent state income tax reduction, but a new Rutgers-Eagleton Poll finds fully three-quarters of the voters surveyed would prefer to see a property tax cut come first.

The poll released Tuesday does show that 52 percent of voters support a tax cut.

Although the proposed income tax cut is popular across the state, an overwhelming majority of voters (76 percent) would prefer a property tax reduction. Given a choice between the two taxes, Republicans, Democrats and independents all agree that property taxes should be reduced first. Voters’ opinions of the governor do not seem to affect preference for property tax reduction. Those with a favorable opinion (80 percent) and an unfavorable opinion (74 percent) strongly prefer that a property tax cut come first. Eight-in-10 of the highest earning New Jerseyans – who would benefit most from an income tax cut - prefer to see their property taxes cut before income taxes.

“Everyone likes lower taxes,” Prof. David Redlawsk, the poll’s director, said. “But property tax cuts are what New Jerseyans seem to want. While recent changes pushed by Governor Christie have placed stronger caps on property tax increases, voters still want to see those taxes actually reduced. It’s one thing nearly everyone agrees on.”

The poll also found voters significantly overestimate how much money they would actually receive from an income tax cut. A New Jersey taxpayer making $50,000 would save a little less than $100 per year from a 10 percent income tax cut, and those making $100,000 would save about $275. Voters anticipate a median savings of nearly $750.

“People are eager for tax relief,” Redlawsk said. “Yet for most New Jerseyans the burden they feel comes from property taxes, more than from income taxes. A majority would certainly take an income tax cut over nothing, but large numbers have no idea how much they would save from Christie’s proposal.”

While there are strong partisan differences in support for the tax cut – 72 percent of Republicans want it, while only 38 percent of Democrats offer support – everyone agrees that a property tax cut is preferred. Nearly eight-in-10 Republicans and Democrats say cut property taxes first, and 73 percent of independents agree.

Results are from a telephone poll of 914 adults conducted statewide from Feb. 9-11. The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.3 percentage points.

Predictably, nearly three-quarters of Republicans favor the proposed tax cut, with 21 percent opposed. Independents support the proposal, 54 percent to 32 percent. Democrats statewide are dubious about this plan, with half opposed and 38 percent in favor.

9 Tuesday, 13 March 2012 06:00
Jessica Brown
I just came upon I will am obligated to pay the IRS over $15,000 this year. I anxiously went around contacting lawyers and certified public accountants though I was not certain who to retain and could not manage to pay for the "retainer fees." Then I found ConsumerTaxReports.org and was amazed at all the analysis they had carried out. All significant consultant I was looking at was definitely evaluated with a massive check list outlining their expert services, costs, recognition, plus much more! This site is a must for men and women like me. http://www.consumertaxreports.org
8 Friday, 09 March 2012 04:53
James Cullen
I had very much the same experience. If you happen to still need help, I would advise visiting ConsumerTaxReports.org. My personal Accountant gave me this web site and yes, it saved me personally a lot of effort and kept my family from being scammed through a shady tax relief specialist. They critique tax specialists. http://www.consumertaxreports.org
7 Thursday, 08 March 2012 11:28
Sunita
Wow, that's actually regrettable! You absolutely should do the groundwork and examine these tax debt relief businesses before employing one. I came across ConsumerTaxReports.org, which really sets it all out available for you: company Internet sites, Better Business Bureau rankings, ordinary fees ... For those who are obligated to pay the Internal Revenue Service, you should definitely have a look at their Internet site (http://www.consumertaxreports.org). I think it'll absolutely give you some help!
6 Wednesday, 07 March 2012 12:39
Mike Helwet
Are you still having tax concerns? When you are, in need to retain the services of somebody else. Examine the opinions on ConsumerTaxReports.org. They have some great information on tax relief organizations. This could help you from wasting additional time and funds. http://www.consumertaxreports.org
5 Monday, 05 March 2012 10:39
jhon
Its right that burden of property taxes is very high then other taxes so that its needs right planing in guidance of a property consultant lawyer.
4 Friday, 02 March 2012 08:33
Jon Santiago
I am just guessing you are still on the IRS' bad list. In all honesty, you need to just find someone that may help you. Actually sounds like it cannot get any more painful! Try ConsumerTaxReports.Org. These people individually contact tax debt relief firms and write evaluations determined by what they declare. I was in a very comparable predicament as the one you have, though not as bad, however I understand that if I ever have an issue with the IRS again, I am going to http://www.Consumertaxreports.org
3 Thursday, 01 March 2012 09:36
Jon Santiago
This business is providing you with the runaround; I'd personally fire these individuals and cut your loss. But you will still need a firm that can assist you resolve your matter. Examine http://www.Consumertaxreports.org for the best ratings and a thorough list of each and every businesses services, staff members, fees, and track record. This great site is known as a godsend for anyone like us. It's not at all influenced or promotional, it is simply straight truth!
2 Wednesday, 29 February 2012 09:12
Property Tax Lawyer
The burden of property tax is very high as compared to other taxes. And surprisingly property taxes are increasing year by year which must be not be.
anyways,
Thank you for such a fantastic blog. Where else could anyone get that kind of info written in such a perfect way? I have a presentation that I am presently working on, and I have been on the lookout for such information.
1 Saturday, 25 February 2012 04:18
Will Rose
There isn't a purpose to go looking constantly through the interwar for any tax consultant if ConsumerTaxReports.Org has done pretty much everything for your requirements. I highly recommend anyone with tax problems to look at this web site and its priceless information. Considering the variety of companies carrying out dishonest market exercises it really is hard to understand what people to rely on before you decide to seek the services of a business for aid. ConsumerTaxReports.Org holds every one of the outfits they inspect liable for their specific goods and services, rates, workforce, and Internet based track record. Go to the Internet site previous to you sign with anyone. http://www.Consumertaxreports.org