Comedian Stephen Colbert gets serious for mother: 'Colbert Report' on hold | Movies | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.

Oct 31st

Comedian Stephen Colbert gets serious for mother: 'Colbert Report' on hold

colbertreportlogo021712_optBY BOB HOLT

On Wednesday and Thursday, Comedy Central suspended production of Montclair resident Stephen Colbert’s "The Colbert Report" program due to “unforeseen circumstances.”

Cancellation of the show’s tapings was announced at the last minute. According to the Hollywood Reporter, ticket holders were lined up at the Manhattan studio, and some had already been seated. Comedy Central sent an e-mail notifying ticket holders of the cancellation on Wednesday.

According to the New York Post, sources said Colbert shut down the show for his ailing 91-year-old mother Lorna. Colbert’s father James and two of his brothers were killed in the crash of an airliner in 1974 when Colbert was 10 years old, drawing the comic closer to his mother. He is the youngest of 11 children.

The Huffington Post reported that a person who has a business relationship with the show said that Colbert’s mother is seriously ill, and "The Colbert Report" will remain shut down until he is able to return.

Sources said they are a very private family, and didn’t find it surprising that Colbert did not want anyone to know what was happening.

Third Beat reported that Colbert had a perfect attendance record at his show before this week, and "The Daily Show" has only canceled tapings on two occasions in its history. One cancellation occurred when New Jersey native Jon Stewart’s second child was born, and another when a staff member died.

Colbert’s Twitter account has been quiet since Tuesday, according to the Washington Post, when he posted: "Happy Valentine's Day! Hope you're enjoying your flowers, or chocolates, or smug self-satisfaction at not celebrating Valentine's Day."

Lorna Colbert spoke about her son on South Carolina television in 2008.

9 Saturday, 25 February 2012 08:17
VirginiaGuy
Be it his mother, or some "political reason" I wish him the best. If it is something to do with a political problem then whoever is starting trouble for the Colbert Report will have ended their political career. Even though his news is fake, I appreciate the things he brings to light. Stephen just recently opened they eyes of many concerning the practice of "Super PACs" and how candidates use them to do their dirty work. He is a watchdog- a very funny watchdog. Good Luck Stephen.
8 Sunday, 19 February 2012 02:10
Marcus
Heart wrenching? Sad maybe, but heart wrenching? She's 91! We should all be so lucky.
7 Saturday, 18 February 2012 23:51
Wu-Tang Man
Stephen is a really great person. His family and his faith are always at the front of what he does. He has a great head on his shoulders and I'm happy that he knows how to do what's right. I'll be looking forward to seeing him on the air again but don't mind waiting a bit while he takes care of his mom.
6 Saturday, 18 February 2012 23:32
Another SC Native
My heart and prayers go out to Stephen and his entire family. I'm a huge fan of his and I agree that he is a very kind man who puts family first! I had no idea he has had so much tragedy in his life, it's heartbreaking, and now this. I am praying for Mrs. Lorna Colbert and asking God to grant her a full recovery and many more years of life and good health! God bless the entire Colbert family--and I am SO PROUD to be a South Carolinian like Stephen!!! :-)
5 Saturday, 18 February 2012 13:53
Lynnell Green-Keyes
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this very difficult time. This world is fortunate to have such a wonderful, loving human being. Thank you for showing the world how to prioritize one's life!
4 Saturday, 18 February 2012 13:28
Judy Staff
...to the Colbert family. May God's peace be with them all. My respect for Stephen has increased to learn that he put his family first...no suprise there. We need you in a more meaningful role... President, perhaps?
3 Saturday, 18 February 2012 13:21
Colbert Report Insider
While there is truth to his mother's illness, it is not the reason the show's tapings were cancelled. The show was given court orders to stop taping. Evidently, a highly publicized political figure filed legal complaints and the show was given a cease and desist order. The show is fulfilling it's legal obligation to this court order and the legal team is defending the alleged charges and quickly as possible. The Colbert Report will resume taping as soon as legally possible.
2 Saturday, 18 February 2012 12:17
Elizabeth, Brandon, Florida
Stephen Colbert is one of the finest human beings that has ever walked this Earth. His decision to "shut down his show" and rush to be by his mom's side is a perfect example how his priorities are in true order - family first despite any fame and fortune you may acquire. My prayers are with you Stephen and may God continue to perform his miracles with your mom. Though I miss seeing you on tv you continue to do what is right as this world needs more men lke you. God's blessings always my dear man.
1 Saturday, 18 February 2012 11:22
Christopher G. Parson
I wish Steven, his mother and his entire family all the best and I hope she can pull through. I am a huge fan and this is just heart-wrenching.