'Zombie Apocalypse' could get a boost from spoiled food | Healthquest | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.

Sunday
Sep 21st

'Zombie Apocalypse' could get a boost from spoiled food

tupperware_food061112_optBY MAKINI BRICE

It is not just the zombies we need to be worried about.

With the weak economy, households have less disposable income. With that comes less cash for entertainment, clothing, and apparently causes consumers to be riskier with food.

According to research by the United Kingdom’s Food Standards Agency, as reported by Digital Journal, people are increasingly ignoring use-by dates and hold onto leftovers for longer periods of time, choosing to judge the freshness of item by smell. They cite higher food prices as one of the reasons.

According to Digital Journal, the problem is that food contaminations like E. Coli and salmonella do not give off an odor.

Additionally, the BBC reports that food poisoning peaks in the summer because bacteria and contaminates can grow more quickly at a warmer temperature.

The United States Department of Agriculture suggests that consumers eat cooked leftovers within four days. The USDA also advises not to leave food out in a room-temperature environment for more than two hours.

18 Tuesday, 12 August 2014 18:51
Not Pleased
Must be pretty hard up for readers to go with a headline like that for something as mundane as "People are eating more spoiled goods due to economic disparity."

I mean really. Turn in your journal.
17 Tuesday, 24 June 2014 13:06
Nom Nom Jr.
Truly awesome clickbait. My hat is well and truly off.
16 Sunday, 01 July 2012 03:26
Timothy Leary
poor Makini, tried to be clever using zombie buzzwords, now has nothing but negative comments. I bet Makini will be awfully sad upon reading these comments. "I tried to make a popular article and the internet hates me!"
15 Thursday, 28 June 2012 17:57
Concerned cadaver
What a load of bollocks besides all the blatant traffic grabbing this article is highly offensive. I always make sure my brains are fresh and transmitted in a slow moving but clean receptacle. Usually about 5'9" so I can lean over the top to get at the good eats. Nom nom nom
14 Thursday, 28 June 2012 02:10
yummy brains
As a zombie, I find this pathetically titled article offensive.
13 Tuesday, 26 June 2012 14:43
Kenneth Hauswald
I can't believe the abusive, unnecessary comments that have been left on this article; can't a person write a serious, informative article on the inevitable zombie apocalypse without you self-righteous, arrogant bigots dismissing their work as a cheap, "shameless grab at some traffic". Unbelievable. Makini Brice, I applaud your research.
12 Tuesday, 26 June 2012 02:22
andet
She writes for a paper in New Jersey.
11 Monday, 25 June 2012 10:37
Zoot
Maybe try "Nazi Zombies" next time, might get more traffic. Seriously lame attempt.
10 Monday, 25 June 2012 00:35
Pandraswrath
Is your writing so poor that you have to rely on buzzwords? Granted, you have traffic to this article now, but it IS a bit odd that all of the comment have been written here on the same day that a popular website linked this article poking a bit of fun at it. So, congrats for traffic for all of the wrong reasons and for making sure people wince when they hear your name in the future?
9 Sunday, 24 June 2012 18:08
confused
Don't put zombie apocalypse in the title when this is little more than a pedestrian PSA about cleaning out your fridge...
8 Sunday, 24 June 2012 17:24
Ad-star
I've eaten leftovers that are over a week old multiple times and never had any issues. Also I think the author meant "contaminants" not "contaminates"
7 Sunday, 24 June 2012 16:04
LordGrammar
I agree with others; your use of the phrase 'zombie apocalypse' is stupid and shameless. This is a very poor article.
6 Sunday, 24 June 2012 14:30
Concerned Zombie
Look at what you have done here and never do it again.
5 Sunday, 24 June 2012 10:40
Seamus
The fact that the zombie apocalypse can be caused by old, e. coli infected, food people are keeping in their fridges and eating.
4 Sunday, 24 June 2012 09:51
Tanner R. Eads
You're a failure. You're not a journalist, and you're a waste of time, resources, carbon, and air.

Buzzwords do NOT equal journalism, and you should be ashamed.
3 Sunday, 24 June 2012 09:34
Joe Zombie
MMMMMMMM. Expired braiiiiiinnnnnssss!
2 Sunday, 24 June 2012 09:26
Shermannator
Gee, I wonder if the reference to a "Zombie Apocalypse" was a shameless grab at some traffic. Here's an idea, if you want high traffic, try writing interesting and informative articles. Jackass.
1 Sunday, 24 June 2012 09:19
Karn
The hell does this have to do with zombies?