Divyendu Sinha of Old Bridge died from blunt force trama to head, according to medical examiner | State | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.

Saturday
Sep 20th

oldbridgenj062910_optMiddlesex County Prosecutor Bruce J. Kaplan announced Tuesday that an Old Bridge man died from a head injury that was inflicted when he was attacked by three 17-year-old males.

An autopsy performed Tuesday by the Middlesex County Medical Examiner's Office determined that Divyendu Sinha, 49, of Old Bridge died from blunt force trauma to the head and that the manner of death was homicide.

The three juveniles charged with murder, conspiracy to commit murder, aggravated assault and conspiracy to commit an aggravated assault remain in custody at the Middlesex County Juvenile Detention Center in North Brunswick.

They are scheduled to appear in Family Court July 1, 2010, before Superior Court Judge Roger W. Daley in New Brunswick.

The investigation into the death of Mr. Sinha is continuing. Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Greg Morris of the Old Bridge Police Department at (732) 721-5600, or Investigator Paul Miller of the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office at (732) 745-4466.

— NEWJERSEYNEWSROOM.COM

27 Sunday, 18 March 2012 13:11
Leila Singh
The deliberate killing of a humble decent/hard working (husband and father) Professor Divyendu Sinha's death. Was barely mentioned in the NYC Media ... right across the Hudson river! I've lived here since 1966 - as a 4th generation Indo-American born in the Americas. Dare I say, commenting on "what I truly feel and know for a fact" - unfortunately can backfire on me & the rest of you who are voiceless. But it's in your hands - Create Civil Rights SUPPORT GROUPS to help each other. Similar to (two) other feral powerful minorities . Since the Government of India cannot protect it's own citizens who travel and reside abroad for the love of God. Prayers for the Sinha family may their loved one "Rest in Peace." Thanks and keep the faith!
26 Monday, 12 July 2010 21:18
jalabi
nick1980:
>> whites must appreciate that they are in this country yet after getting rid of natives.
blacks must apprecate that majority of the community is being sponsored by govt programs
hispanic must appreciate that although mostly illegal they are still earning bread and butter here
chinese must appreciate that their new generation is getting a well to do lifestyle which was difficult to achieve back home
indians must appreciate american culture and not promote their own culture outside their community were black and the victim is Indian, haven't been watching the news. It is entirely wrong to say that black people are never brought up on "hate crime" charges...and it's even more wrong to say that black people are never the victims of hate crimes. (Ever hear of a man named Rodney King?)

The bottom of it is, I don't care what race the perps are, or the race of the victim. I care that one man, a fellow American, is dead. I care that his alleged murderers are probably going to be dumped into the penal system, or even worse, let free, and allowed to kill again. We should stop bringing race into issues where they need not be brought, and we should stop trying to conflate "being American" with xenophobia disguised as patriotism.

My condolences to all the victims of this crime.
25 Wednesday, 07 July 2010 10:46
nick1980
as americans everyone must understand their limits and not infringe into any community's boundaries

if this happens all live in peace

but incidents like this can only be avoided if the law and order fixes loopholes of under 18 and easy get away

book them until they are 49 so when they are out of jail they realize the cost you have to pay for such a crime and it leads to eye-openers for others who will not think oif doing any slightest of such a case
24 Monday, 05 July 2010 13:48
Mookie
If the attackers were white ten this would be without a doubt a hate crime, pics and names would be released, and it would be nationally syndicated news. 99% of the time blacks are immune from hate crime laws and the media does BACKFLIPS to cover it up.
23 Monday, 05 July 2010 13:19
anonymous
My sincere condolences to the Sinha family. I know the pain you are going through. I can empathize because I myself have been a victim of a brutal crime.
May God the Merciful bring justice and punish those who go against his teachings. May he bless those who follow in his footsteps and strive to achieve something positive in life by giving back to society and nurturing it.
America seriously needs to take a good look at the society that we have created. If it means that we need to clean up the mess we have made, we need to do in order to save ourselves. We shouldn't reward nor encourage such ignorance and selfishness that these killers idolized.
The myspace profiles of the killers made me want to puke.
A picture of Scarface (Al Pacino's famous character) brandishes the killers site.
The income is 250,000 and above.
Not even the gentleman that the killers so viciously committed an act of cold murder against made that kind of money. He was a teacher. I'm a teacher. He was a humble man. We don't get into the profession of teaching because we wanna "clock bitches and make a bunch of dollla billz".
The youth of today lack an understanding of what it takes to earn that kind of money in society. They don't understand the term...caliber. There isn't a moral code that is encouraged so that they are able to distinguish between the correct way of making money and the wrong way of making it.
In fact, it doesn't matter how you GET your money (benjamins) or your bitches...so long as you are RICH and getting LAID. That's what makes them "COOL".
No one wants to earn anything except for the good children who strive to become something positive and give back...the kids who end up working at Google, Pixar, Apple, IBM...become a doctor, lawyer...etc. These young adults grow into something worthwhile because they give something positive back. On the other hand, the less privileged as they would like to refer to themselves are encouraged to slack off and spend their time listening to rap songs from previously convicted rapists, drug dealers, and murderers.
But I don't buy into that "less privileged" bullshit. It's a scapegoat used by lazy people who are roaches. Those killers are roaches. Everyone in America has the ability to do something positive with their lives regardless of whether you come from the ghetto or Beverly Hills. What you do with your life in this country depends on you and your decisions only.
Ever watch Slumdog Millionaire? Those kids didn't have the choice. We take that choice for granted here. The poor kids in India have their hands tied. These killers chose to kill an innocent man and bring hurt to the family. They have no regard for their actions.
People choose to come to America because you can do something positive and it is promising. What kind of society are we creating if people who have been here longer than Indians don't get that? The hymns of yesterday have become songs like "skeet skeet". It's disgusting.
I would like to drop those little thugs off in Calcutta...in the heart of the slums and see if they could make it for a day. Let's see if their myspace, 2 Pac, and Scarface would save them.
22 Monday, 05 July 2010 12:49
Anonymous
The news of this horrific tragedy hit home for me.
It brought back memories of how I managed to survive an attack from 15 black thugs in Savannah, Georgia.
I was going to college at the time. I came home late one night around 2 AM in the morning. I parked my car in the parking lot across from the apartment building I was living in. I noticed a group of black teens taking a walk outside of my parking lot before I pulled in. I didn't think anything of it. Looking back, I wish I did think twice about pulling in to that driveway.
I got out of my car and two black guys where right outside my door when I closed it. They asked me if I had something...they were using slang that I couldn't understand. I think they said "dough" so I assume it was money they were asking for. Before I could say anything one of the guys punched me in the face and I was knocked out cold. The other guy started wailing on me as well. So I curled up in defense mode. I peeked out from the arms I used to cover my face. I saw the whole group of thugs run around the fence and come in to take turns kicking and punching me while I was on the ground.
They were chanting "Kill the motherf**ker". I thought this was it. I was prepared to die. So I immediately thought of God. Now I am not trying to preach here but honestly that thought in itself saved me. For some reason they stopped and ran off.
They had my car keys with them. One of the thugs reached into my pockets as I was down on the ground and took it. My glasses were knocked off. My cell phone was missing. It was completely insane.
I ran all the way up to my friend's place bleeding in the middle of the night, paranoid that at anytime one of those thugs could pop up behind me and kill me. I got to my friend's house and she called the cops.
To make a long story short the cops showed up and did a very poor job of taking down the crime. I asked them if they could get a tow truck to tow my car into the police station or somewhere safe before the thugs come back to steal it. Either they didn't understand or care because they said they didn't do it. If they are there to serve and protect they should have offered to do it. Yet, according to them "Your car is in a safe place. We can't tow it." I looked at them in disbelief and yelled, "Safe?! Look at my face?! You call this safe? I almost got killed!!! Now they are going to steal my car if it's not stolen already! It's just a matter of time!" My friend tried to calm me down. She was unable to comprehend the severity of the tragedy that was bestowed upon me and how shocked I was at the lack of sensitivity presented by the cops.
To make a long story short I spent the night in a hospital. I got out early in the morning and spent the rest of day trying to relax under the doctor's orders but I could not stop staring at my car which was sitting in the parking lot waiting to be stolen. I could have told my roommate to slash my tires so that there was no way of it being stolen but when you are on heavy medication after having your head kicked in you aren't even able to think straight. I was spitting out random digits and words....that's what the doctor said would happen. So it was best that I got some rest. I was staring out my window and the last thing I remember is a little black kid with a baseball bat dressed in the same yellow get up that the attackers where wearing. He was hitting the bat against the railing of the fence. My care was behind the fence. I believe it was a signal for the thugs that "the ghost is clear...you can take the car now." I remember stepping outside of my house then looking around and then I thought "No you're just paranoid...try to sleep." I went to sleep. Woke up 20 minutes or so later and my car was gone.
The police department did such a terrible job that a detective called my Dad and said that he needed to talk to me. The detective accused me of stealing a car involved in a hit and run and slamming it next to a building. Obviously infuriated, my Dad explained to the detective that it was his son who was nearly beaten to death and had his car stolen.
Just goes to show you how bad the justice system can be especially in a backwards town like Savannah, Georgia.
These criminals, the ones who harmed Sinha and I, give nothing back to the community. They only take. I saw the killers' myspace sites. They are an embarrassment to all of mankind. Their profiles say it all...how their life ambition is to cause trouble. Their only goal is to ruin other peoples' lives.
This is how one of the killers' describes himself and his "friends" in his myspace profile:
"I like to chill with mi my three niggaz Cash, Blair,and Shoni. We be up to no good sometimes but neva get cought, but they got my back if anything happens. We all some true "G"'s."
This is a wake up call America.
My heart goes out to the Sinha family and all their loved ones.
21 Monday, 05 July 2010 10:14
Fix Broken System
>>Nobody Here Knows The Law....
...Neither did those cold blooded killers and their accomplices, on how to be human.
20 Sunday, 04 July 2010 19:45
XYZ
You simply cannot release the name's of everyone involved until you determine who is actually responsible for the murder. There are five that were taken in, but that doesn't mean that all five took part in the actual beating. Stop speculating, and let the legal system do it's job....
19 Saturday, 03 July 2010 14:26
Grieving in Mercer county
If Prof.Sinha had been packing a gun, none of this would have happened. I was a long time proponent of gun control. This incident has totally changed my mind. I am packing heat when I go for my evening walks from now on.
Watch out you old-bridge high school killer wannabes. Savages like you will not get away any more and Prof.Sinha's death will surely be avenged. May his soul rest in peace.
18 Friday, 02 July 2010 12:49
KDC
I would like to ask the parents of these kids what you are kids going out at this time of the night?
17 Friday, 02 July 2010 12:45
Vinny
I was absolutely horrified at the news of this murder. Some of my relatives live on Glen Oaks, which is pretty close. The senseless of the crime is staggering. These kids need to be put away for a very very long time.
16 Friday, 02 July 2010 10:47
Outraged
I personally don't know the victim or his family and this may be far fetched, but I want to pose the following question, at least to vent my sadness and anger over this incident which I am unable to overcome...

Apart from the criminial proceedings against the worms (who should arguably be tried as adults) leading to the maximum penalty that the law allows, could there be room for a civil action against the OB school district on behalf of the Sinha family, if the deplorable situation at OBHS (which would have definitely contributed to something like this happening) as described in the many of the posts elsewhere can be proven in court ?
15 Thursday, 01 July 2010 23:21
Mok
Very unexpected and brings the entire Indian Community of the world, and especially of NJ greatly down. Pray for their family, and let us all hope who ever did this receives the most punishment possible. Absolutely horrific and undoubtedly a shameful thing for the attackers.
14 Thursday, 01 July 2010 21:20
samir
Police should get to the bottom of this. It is shocking that in such safe neighborhood some one might get killed going for a evening walk. People responsible for this should be brought to justice. I propose capital punishment.
-Samir
13 Thursday, 01 July 2010 20:35
none of ur business
i dont care how old those kids are they better gt punishd cuz if nt i guarantee the indian community gna find them and show them no mercy
12 Thursday, 01 July 2010 16:01
Anonymous
1. One of those kids werent even part of it
2. There myspaces were from when they were younger

get your facts straight one of them your trying to putdown and he wasnt even with them
11 Thursday, 01 July 2010 12:09
TM14
I don't know how a family is ever to move on from such a tragedy. I pray that his family and friends are somehow able cope with this tragedy. I also hope the names of the victims are released and they are punished severely. It takes particularly cruel people to beat up someone so savagely in front of their loved ones.
10 Thursday, 01 July 2010 10:58
Anonymous
those are the killers but they are both 17 years old and one is 16 years old.
9 Thursday, 01 July 2010 10:32
Anonymous
I am not the original poster, but the names of the criminals, their sports backgrounds, and the cocky comments at their web pages, are being talked about all over the web. And if you cross correlate that with Old Bridge, only these links show up !!! So, I do believe that the links provided are accurate (though I agree that the ages of two of them are stated there as 18, not 17, but who knows...). Makes me wonder why you are so upset, what way are you connected with these guys ?

Secondly, it appears that the poor spelling ability of the poster bothers you too... It could very well be that he can barely speak English, so perhaps you are outraged by his/her "foreignness" (in which case he/she has no business whatsoever to express his/her views, right ?) ? Oops that is not proper English either,...
8 Thursday, 01 July 2010 02:34
Matt­ ­
To "murderes"

Either you're mistaken, or you're a real jerk trying to cause problems for those guys. A quick check of the profile you linked shows data that conflicts with the police report. The dates are wrong, the ages are wrong. Those can't be the killers.
7 Wednesday, 30 June 2010 22:56
RJB
Why do the police assume this was a "random attack" and not a hate crime? If this was a black man beaten to death in front of his family by people that were another race, it would have immediately have been considered a hate crime by the police and media. So why is it when an Indian man is murdered by people of another race, it is not a hate crime? Did the teens want to just kill the first person they saw no matter who it was? If this was a white or black family taking a walk instead would they have been attacked the same way? I hope the police are keeping their eyes open to this while investigating. The attackers should not be tried as juveniles either. They are almost 18 years old and they knew what they were doing. If they get tried as juveniles and not charged with a hate crime, then this will open the door to future hate crimes by "teens" on innocent people in the area.
6 Wednesday, 30 June 2010 14:33
raina
here is the picture of the murderer..in his friends list you will find the profiles of other murderers too..http://www.myspace.com/og3og
5 Wednesday, 30 June 2010 14:30
raina
i actually saw the pictures of the murders..in case you want to check it..heres the link http://www.myspace.com/shoni1993...check the friends list....
4 Wednesday, 30 June 2010 12:59
Rajit Okhandiar
It is really very sad to know the untimely demise of Mr Sinha. May God give enough strength to his family to bear this tragedy. I feel that Govt of India must intervene in this matter so that the guilt do not get away without punishment.There was such a hue and cry in media when Indians were attacked in Austarlia.Where are these media men now.
3 Wednesday, 30 June 2010 11:29
Yet another guy
I am cutting and pasting the following comment which I found on a prominent Indian news channel. The second paragraph mentions three names, supposedly of the assailants. I cannot attest to the veracity of this information, or otherwise...
=========================

from wellwisher06 at 15:36, Jun 30, 2010
Dr. Sinha had a glorious career in the field of Computer Science. He was working as a Senior Software Project Manager at Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics. He had also served as CTO & VP at KoamTac and had worked within various positions at Eastman Kodak. Dr. Sinha had earned his Ph.D. from Stevens Institute of Technology and had been a professor at the College of Staten Island. He had earned his graduate degree from IIT Khadagpur. Dr. Sinha was an author of several books on computer imaging and Computational mathematical morphology. Dr. Sinha had lived in this neighborhood, for over 16 years where the attack was committed. He was fatally assaulted, unprovoked right outside his house on the night of Friday, 25-Jun-10 by some High School kids who were obviously drunk and high and were looking for a victim just for kicks. Dr. Sinha was returning home after a walk with his wife and two sons, shortly after dinner. Dr. Sinha%u2019s two sons also received injuries. After struggling for life, Sinha was declared to have passed away on 28-Jun-10, Monday morning (Eastern Time) at 4:00 AM

While the attack may or may not have been racial, the essential question is how, Indians living abroad seek safety and justice without the intervention of the Government of India. The three assailants: 17 year old murderers had absolutely no remorse even after this violent crime. The attack was committed on Friday night. On Saturday morning, the criminals were busy posting random stuff at facebook and myspace. They were obviously overjoyed at their feat. Old Bridge High School students: Cash Johnson, Christian Tinli and Julian Daley were the names behind this violent crime. Julian Daley's facebook profile has since been deleted. It was last seen until Wednesday morning and all three murderers had been busy posting on each other's walls until Saturday morning after the attack. Cash Johnson, Christian Tinli and Julian Daley%u2019s public profiles show their menace and a complete lack of remorse.

It is understandable that the US laws prohibit juvenile criminals' names to be declared within the United States but what about the trial? It is being speculated that the accused might not really get a punishment fit in the United States for murder. They might be sent either to their parents or a juvenile detention center. Is that a fit trial for an unprovoked murder of an elderly scholar? Should the Indian Government intervene and request USA to try these murderers as adults? If that is not done, these animals would end up getting an unjust and lenient punishment in the name of being %u2018technically%u2019 minors.

It is important for people to understand that Indians who live far from their homeland have very little but their own communities to care for. At a time like this, the Indian Government must intervene and offer support and justice for the dearly departed. Dr. Sinha had done some extremely generous activities within India and US for the Indian community. Generations of his relatives have sought inspiration from him in career and life. He has helped numerous youngsters in India gain the right path in studies and career. Many of them have landed in the country's finest institutions like the IIT's and others. Thanks to his inspiration and love, his passing is being deeply mourned among family, relatives, friends and acquaintances in India.

Dr. Sinha was a loving son and a doting father and husband. His family, hailing from Bihar are devastated. His old parents and are finding it hard to come to terms with the tragedy. Sad part is, they will not be able to travel to the US to see their son for the one last time. Dr. Sinha's wife and two teenage sons are trying to keep strong. His only brother has flown to the US already and is attempting to offer support in the face of this great personal tragedy. Dr. Sinha's last rites will be performed in New Jersey and parallel religious ceremonies will be performed in India by his grieving parents. May God give the family strength and hope. Hopefully they will be able to find peace and forgiveness in their hearts for this seemingly unforgiveable event. Our prayers and wishes for the departed and his family.
2 Wednesday, 30 June 2010 07:20
sammy
why the hell USA has this stupid word and stupid law that prevent them to declare their names and photos so other people like Mr.Sinha would know with what kind of neighborhood and people they living around.Give them all to either life in prison or hang to death.
Extremely grieved to learn of his death as a result 0f head injury inflicted to him by 3 teen agers in U,S. My codolences to his wife Alka and sons in U.S. and his aged parents (RNP Sinhas) and parents in law (NK Sinhas) and brother Purnendu(Pappu), all living behind in India.
I fail to understand what is happening in U.S. wherefrom news of similar ocurences to Indians living there come so often. Is it price of becoming so called number-1 in the world? U.S. must pay attention to values of human life besides being number-1 in othe fields.
The families of Sinha and his relatives have been so close to me and my wife that that we are made dumb by the news and find unable to express further words of sympathy